With so many people making industry forecasts, I decided to weigh-in with my own. While my list is mainly focused on national predictions, number 10 pertains to regional and mid-market companies.
1. Facebook will have at least one user privacy scandal to deal with in 2019. It will be interesting to see if the next breach results in changes that will benefit Facebook users – but don’t count on it. Zuckerberg has become the quintessential Teflon Kid.
2. The FBI will continue to investigate large holding companies for media buying malpractice. The key to implicating them is through an examination of their overseas records. Heavy fines will be levied against the holding companies and the government will get their money. Unfortunately, the clients (who were taken advantage of) won’t.
3. Blockchain will prove itself to be useful in preventing digital fraud. As a result, more agencies will embrace its potential. Despite the progress, I don’t expect the technology to be ready for wide spread application in 2019.
4. Facebook and other social platforms will have record profits but individual usership will decline.
5. 5G will be much closer to national implementation. And when it does, look out! 5G will revolutionize much of the mobile universe and possibly justify spending $1000 for mobile phones.
6. Flip phones. Yes, I said flip phones. They will be making a comeback because of market demand from Generation Z but only if the cellphone manufacturers listen. If not, the manufacturers will try to cram 5G smart phones down their throats. Gen Zs’ will retaliate by opting out of many apps and sites. Remember this one!
7. At least 20% of companies will realize that they need to stop selling to their target audience and start engaging with them. Smart businesses market through causes, humor, education and value – not pitching.
8. Tik Tok will continue to gain significant enrollment while membership in other social sites will fall flat or decline. Keep your eye on this one if you are planning a future campaign, especially one directed towards younger audiences.
9. The “cord cutting on cable services” trend will continue and even increase. To compensate for lost revenue, costs for support services and on-demand video will rise. The cable giants aren’t going away any time soon, folks!
10. If you are a mid-market or regional company, you should read my blog and follow my advice. If so, you’ll be incredibly successful! LOL. Well, at the very least, you will be making better marketing and media buying decisions. And that’s one predication, I can guarantee.
Be well, be safe and save a little time for fun! Happy 2019 everyone!